This Almond Frangipane Pear Tart is delicious and beautiful making it a lovely ending to any dinner. The dessert is baked using a sweet dough crust with sliced pears nestled in an airy almond frangipane filling.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to the terms page for more information.
What is Almond Frangipane and How to Make it?
Almond frangipane is a mixture of butter, sugar, almond flour, eggs and all-purpose flour. It is a baked pastry cream filling that has a sweet, nutty taste so it pairs well with many fruit and chocolate tarts, pies and other desserts. Once baked it has the consistency of an airy sponge cake, just a bit heavier. Simply follow the steps listed in the recipe below to create this delightful cream or check out my YouTube video for a visual demonstration.
What Type of Pear to Use?
For this recipe I prefer to use a ripe yet not overly soft Bosc pear. Even when ripe a Bosc tends to be crispy enough to stand up to baking without becoming mushy. Check out a little Bosc pear history and description in this article.
Consider serving a nice wine with this dessert for your adult gatherings. Most pear desserts work pair with dessert wines - perhaps a sweet Chenin Blanc, a Pinot Gris or a Muscat?
Dough for the Tart Shell
Using a sturdy yet tender sweet crust is best for this tart. I use my Sweet Dough recipe (aka Sucree Dough) for the tart as it produces a soft cookie-like crust. There is no need to pre-bake or par-bake the crust before assembling the tart. The dessert will spend sufficient time in the oven to fully bake the crust.
Almond Frangipane Pear Tart Recipe
- 1 9" or 10" Tart Pan (with removable bottom)
- 1 Rolled Tart Crust (unbaked) (see link for my sweet pie dough recipe)
- 3.5 Ounces Granulated Sugar (½ Cup)
- 4 Ounces Butter, room temperature (1 stick)
- 6 Ounces Almond Flour (1 ½ Cups)
- 2 Large Eggs Room Temperature
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 Medium Bosc Pears (ripe but still firm)
- Place softened butter and granulated sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer (a hand mixer may also be used).
- Mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add room temperature eggs one at a time, mixing between each addition.
- Stir in almond flour.
- Stir in all-purpose flour.
- Slice each pear into two pieces by standing the pear it's bottom, slice outside of the core on both sides and discard core.
- Slice each pear piece into ⅛" to ¼" inch slices.
- Spread frangipane evenly on top of the dough in the tart pan.
- Arrange pear slices as desired.
- Place tart in refrigerator and preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake tart for 35 - 40 minutes. Check tart occasionally and wrap loosely in foil with slits cut out if the tart is turning too dark.
- Cool completely before serving.