This lemon cookie has the perfect balance of tartness and sweetness, they are easy to make and mix up in just a few minutes. Full of buttery goodness these cookies practically melt in your mouth so you may have a hard time eating just one! Freshly grated lemon zest is the star of these soft-centered cookies.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to the terms page for more information.
These cookies freeze well and I usually have several in my freezer. There is not much better than coming home after a hard day at the bakery, defrosting one of these cookies and enjoying it with a cup of Earl Grey tea! I promise your friends will enjoy these lemon cookies at your next tea party as they are light and refreshing.
Tips for Making the Perfect Lemon Cookie:
- I prefer unbleached flour in all of my creations. It will provide more structure in your baked goods as it has a denser texture than bleached flour. I highly recommend King Arthur products such as their flours, spices, baking powder and sodas, etc…
- Bring your eggs and butter to room temperature before beginning this recipe. Your ingredients will combine easier and you won’t have that curdled look after adding the eggs to your creamed butter/sugar mixture.
- Cooks will often make the mistake of ‘over-zesting’ citrus fruits by digging too deeply into the peel which adds bitterness to your creation. Try to use a light hand when zesting your lemons for this cookie and only take the top layer of the rind which is where the tanginess is!
- Mixing the Lemon Cookies:
- As mentioned above use room temperature eggs and butter – I know I sound like a broken record but I want you to have the best possible outcome with these cookies.
- Properly creaming your butter and sugar together is an important part to creating the structure of these lemon cookies. Start by creaming the ingredients together on low speed for about 20 seconds and gradually increase the speed to medium. Remember to scrape the mixing bowl occasionally. The entire creaming process will take approximately 2 minutes.
- Once the sugar/butter creaming process is complete, add your room temperature egg and mix on medium-low speed until the egg is completely incorporated.
- Mix on low speed after adding the flour mixture. Take care with this step and only mix until the dough comes together. Over mixing may result in a tough cookie and you won’t have the soft interior – which makes this cookie shine!
Lemon Delight Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Prepare 2 baking sheets by lining with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and lemon zest.
- Using a stand-mixer with the paddle attachment, begin creaming the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy (approximately 2 – 4 minutes on medium speed). Scrape the bowl as needed.
- Add the egg and lemon juice and mix on low speed until incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until combined.
- Scoop the dough onto the parchment-lined baking sheets using a small cookie scooper (approximately 1 ½ tablespoon per cookie). Leave approximately 2 inches of space between each cookie.
- Bake cookies for 10 – 12 minutes or until the tops are a pale golden color.
- Let cookies cool on the baking sheets for 5 to 10 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.