This Mocha Sour Cream Bundt cake is the ultimate way to ‘expresso’ yourself! Running through the cake is a tunnel of mocha goodness which enhances the texture and taste of this treat. The addition of sour cream adds a bit of tang and a lot of moistness!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to the terms page for more information.
I find certain desserts synonymous with various events: fruit pies for summer picnics, decorated cakes for birthdays, just-made soufflés for a small dinner party – and Bundt cakes for a casual Sunday brunch. Just slice up the cake beforehand and set out on a pretty platter for the dessert line. This recipe makes a cake that is especially enticing with the rich tunnel of expresso and chocolate.
Tips for Making the Mocha Sour Cream Bundt Cake:
- Preparing the Pan:
- This is a simple Bundt cake to prepare, so not much can go wrong except when you unmold it. Spend a little extra time preparing your pan to lessen the chances of the cake not releasing properly. Generously spray the pan with baking spray making sure to get the spray into any little crevices. Use a paper towel to remove any excess spray that may have pooled in the pan’s crevices. Alternatively, melt a few tablespoons of butter and brush the pan well with the melted butter. Next, using a fine mesh sifter, sprinkle flour into the pan and tap out the excess.
- The star of this cake is the tunnel of sweet mocha goodness running around the center. Use a high-quality bittersweet chocolate chopped into bits or chocolate chips. Additionally, a finely ground expresso is best to boost up the coffee flavor.
- Bring the sour cream, butter and eggs to room temperature before starting the cake batter. This will ensure your batter does not ‘break’ because the emulsification process didn’t work properly.
- Chop the butter into 1/4″ size pieces. This recipe does not use the creaming process where the sugars and butter are blended in the beginning of mixing. The butter for this cake will be added to the dry ingredients and combined.
- Combine the sour cream, eggs and egg yolks in a separate bowl as you want to add these two ingredients to the mixing bowl together.
- Mixing and Assembling the Cake Batter:
- Combine the dry ingredients – sugar, flour, baking powder and baking soda – in the bowl of a stand mixer (yes, you may use a hand mixer).
- Next add the softened butter and using the paddle attachment for your mixer, mix on the lowest speed for 2 – 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Mix for an additional minute if there are still large chunks of butter.
- Add half of the eggs/sour cream mixture to the bowl, mix on low speed for one minute, scrape the sides of the bowl, add the second half of the eggs/sour cream, mix on low speed until all ingredients are combined. The batter will be quite thick.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared Bundt pan and smooth with a spatula making a small well in the center. Sprinkle the brown sugar/chocolate/expresso mix into the well and press down lightly with your fingers. Add the second half of the batter to the pan and smooth with a spatula. Your cake is now ready for the oven!
- Unmolding the Cake:
- Place the cake pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes after removing from the oven. After 10 minutes flip the pan upside down onto the cooling rack, use oven mitts as the pan is still hot, and allow to cool completely (approximately one hour).
- After the cake has cooled the pan should be carefully lifted off the cake. If the cake does not come out of the pan on its own, gently loosen the sides with a small spatula or blunt knife.
- Mix together the brewed expresso and confectioners’ sugar and drizzle over the cake. Enjoy!
Mocha Sour Cream Bundt Cake
- 70 Grams Light Brown Sugar (⅓ Cup)
- 2 tsp Expresso Powder
- 85 Grams Chocolate Chips, bittersweet (½ Cup)
- 130 Grams Confectioners' Sugar (1 Cup)
- 2 Tbsp Brewed Expresso
- Prepare a 8" or 9" Bundt pan by generously spraying the inside with non-stick baking spray or melted butter. Lightly dust with flour.
- Combine brown sugar, expresso powder and chocolate chips in a bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Combine eggs, yolks and sour cream in a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Add sugar, flour, baking powder and baking soda in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Combine ingredients. Note: a hand mixer may also be used.
- Add softened butter and mix on low speed for 3 minutes.
- Add half of the egg/sour cream mixture to the mixing bowl and combine on low speed for one minute. Scrap sides of bowl.
- Add remaining egg/sour cream mixture to the mixing bowl and combine on low speed for one minute. Scrape sides of bowl and mix on low speed for another minute.
- Add ½ of the cake batter to the prepared pan and smooth with a rubber spatula.
- Scatter the chocolate/expresso/brown sugar mixture on top of the batter in the Bundt pan. Add the remaining batter and smooth with a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 50 minutes at 325° or until top is quite brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove pan from oven and cool upright for 10 minutes.
- Flip pan upside down onto a cooling rack and let cool completely. Remove pan – cake should release from pan on its own. If not, use blunt knife and gently loosen sides.