This Nutella Banana Empanadas recipe is easy to make and easier to eat. The recipe combines two classic flavors: hazelnut chocolate spread and ripe bananas which make these irresistible! These empanadas are a must-try - so simple this is a great dessert recipe to make with your kids!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to the terms page for more information.
What is an Empanada
An empanada is a handheld turnover consisting of dough and filling that is either baked or fried. They are made by folding a sheet of dough over the filling and sealing it before cooking. The name comes from the Spanish word, ‘empanizado’, meaning ‘breaded.’ Check out this article for a bit of history on the empanada.
You only need a few ingredients to whip up these Nutella Banana Empanadas:
- Empanada dough: You need six 5" discs. You may make your own dough or purchase pre-made discs (most often found in the freezer section at your grocer).
- Chocolate hazelnut spread: Nutella or most other brands work well
- Ripe banana
- Egg: lightly whipped, used for sealing and brushing on the outside of the empanadas
- Optional: powdered sugar and melted chocolate to finish the Nutella banana empanadas
When to bake
These little goodies are best served the day they are baked. You may assemble the dessert empanadas the day before you plan to serve. Keep the assembled empanadas in the refrigerator wrapped in plastic or in an airtight container. Then when it is time for dessert simply heat up the oven, bake and cool slightly and serve.
I hope you enjoy these delicious empanadas as much as my family and friends do!
Nutella and Banana Empanadas Recipe
- 6 5" Empanada Discs
- 1 Ripe Banana
- ½ Cup Chocolate Hazelnut Spread (e.g. Nutella or other brand)
- 1 Large Egg, lightly whipped
- 1 Tablespoon Chocolate, melted (optional: for drizzle over baked empanadas)
- 1 Tablespoon Powdered sugar (option: to sift over baked emanadas)
- Preheat conventional oven or air fryer to 350° F.
- Place 2 teaspoons Nutella in the center of the empanada disc. Place 2 banana slices on top of the Nutella. Place an additional teaspoon of Nutella over the banana slices.
- Brush a small amount of whipped egg on the lower half of the empanada disc. Fold empanada dough over so it meets the moistened half of the dough. Press lightly with fingertips.
- Using a fork, press the empanada dough to seal.
- Brush the tops of the sealed empanadas with the whipped egg. Place on a non-stick baking sheet.
Conventional Oven Baking
- Bake at 350° F for 18 - 20 minutes.
Air Fryer Baking
- Place in 350° F air fryer for 10 - 12 minutes.
Finish Empanada (optional)
- Sift powdered sugar over the cooled empanadas then drizzle with melted chocolate.