Apple Cinnamon Empanadas are the perfect accompaniment to the end of a Spanish-style meal. This easy recipe produces dessert empanadas that are incredibly tasty and satisfying!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to the terms page for more information.
Most of us picture empanadas as a savory dish with chicken, beef or pork. But these apple cinnamon empanadas show just how good they can be sweet!
Why I like this recipe
In addition to being a simple recipe, assembling these apple empanadas are fun to make with your family or friends. If pressed for time, the empanadas may be assembled the day before serving and placed in the refrigerator. When you are ready to serve, simply bake and serve while they are still warm.
Traditionally dessert empanadas are served with a dipping sauce. For these apple cinnamon empanadas I recommend a creamy caramel sauce - either homemade or store-bought. Or consider warming a can of dulce de leche - yummy!
An empanada is a handheld turnover consisting of dough and filling that is either baked or fried. They are made by folding a sheet of dough over the filling and sealing it before cooking. The name comes from the Spanish word, ‘empanizado’, meaning ‘breaded.’
Certainly! There are many good recipes online for making empanada dough. There are also plenty of good commercial brands available if you want a quick and easy dessert.
Apple Cinnamon Empanadas Recipe
- 12 4" Empanada Discs
- 2 Large Tart Apples Chopped into ¼" cubes
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter (1 ounce)
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter melted and cooled
- ¼ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
- Peel and core apples. Chop into ¼" cubes.
- Place apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter in a medium-sized saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat until apples have softened slightly (approximately 10 minutes). Stir occasionally.
- Remove saucepan from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Preheat conventional oven or air fryer to 350° F.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter. Cool slightly.
- Combine granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon in a shallow dish or plate. Set aside.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the apple filling in the middle of each empanada disc.
- Brush a small amount of water on the lower half of the empanada disc. Fold empanada dough over so it meets the moistened half of the dough. Press lightly with fingertips.
- Using a fork, press the empanada dough to seal.
- Brush both sides of the sealed empanada with melted butter. Immediately roll in the cinnamon / sugar mixture. Place on a non-stick baking sheet.
Conventional Oven Baking
- Bake at 350° F for 18 - 20 minutes.
Air Fryer Baking
- Place in 350° F air fryer for 10 - 12 minutes.