Gluten-Free Apple Oatmeal Raisin Bars
These gluten-free Oatmeal Apple Bars with raisins recipe is one of those simple recipes you will make time and again. The combination of the chewy texture of oats, the sweetness of the raisins and the tartness of the apple makes for a delicious treat.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to the terms page for more information.
In addition to their complementary flavors and textures, oatmeal, apples and raisins are also nutritious ingredients. Oatmeal is a good source of fiber and protein, while raisins and apples are rich in antioxidants and fiber. By combining these three ingredients in baking, you can create a dessert that is both tasty and somewhat healthy.
Tips for making the Apple Oatmeal Bars with Raisins
I recommend prepping all of your ingredients before starting the recipe. This prep work always helps to make sure you have everything properly measured and close at hand.
- Oatmeal: use old-fashioned oats. Instant oatmeal will absorb moisture from the wet ingredients resulting in a gummy cookie.
- Unsalted butter: Eliminate the salt in the recipe if you use salted butter. Melt the butter and cool slightly before starting the recipe.
- Vanilla: use a high-quality pure vanilla extract.
- Gluten-Free flour: There are many commercially available brands for gluten-free flour. My favorites are Bob's Red Mill or King Arthurs all-purpose gluten-free flours.
- Granulated sugar and light brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon, baking soda and salt
- One large egg
- One apple: I like Granny Smith apples for this recipe. Peel and core the apple. Then grate the apple finely using a cheese grater.
How to make the apple oatmeal bars with raisins:
These Apple Oatmeal Bars with raisins are easy to make and require minimal preparation time. This recipe only requires a bowl, a spatula and a baking dish to whip up! Following the procedures in the recipe below or watch my YouTube video for a visual demonstration.
Allow the bars to cool in the pan completely before unmolding. Then slice into 12 equal sized wedges. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
I make this recipe using a 9" tart pan with a removeable bottom. You may also use a 8" square pan.
Absolutely! Simply replace the gluten-free flour with all-purpose flour.
Yes! Substitute the egg with ¼ cup of unsweetened applesauce and use a vegan butter.
Gluten-Free Oatmeal Apple Raisin Bars
- 1 Tart Pan 9" or 10" with removeable bottom
- 130 grams Gluten-Free Flour (1 cup)
- 100 grams Granulated Sugar (½ cup)
- 107 grams Light Brown Sugar (½ cup)
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 large Egg
- 113 grams Unsalted Butter, melted and cooled (½ cup / 8 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 223 grams Raisins (1 ½ cups)
- 1 large Apple (Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, etc...) Finely grated
- 200 grams Oatmeal, old-fashioned (2 ½ cups)
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- Peel and grate an apple. Place in a bowl with the raisins and vanilla extract. Toss until combined.
- Whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, brown sugar and granulated sugar.
- Add egg and melted butter to the bowl with the flour mixture. Stir until combined.
- Add apple/raisin/vanilla mixture and stir until combined.
- Add oatmeal and stir until combined.
- Pour dough into tart pan. Spread to an even layer with your hands or an offset spatula. Press lightly on the dough.
- Bake for 23 - 26 minutes. Place on a rack and allow to cool completely.
- Push up on the bottom of the tart pan to remove. Cut into 12 even wedges.