Spiced Apple Walnut Cake Recipe and Video
This Spiced Apple Walnut Cake recipe, baked in a tube or Bundt pan, is great for a quick holiday dessert. It consists of tart apples, zesty orange, toasted walnuts and cinnamon all baked up into a scrumptious cake.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to the terms page for more information.
This homemade cake is easy to make and in only a few hours you will have a tasty dessert. The interior of the cake is soft and tasty while the crust is crunchy and thin. Additionally, the combination of orange and cinnamon take this cake to a new level!
- 50 grams brown sugar and granulated sugar
- Tart Apples cored, peeled and cut into ⅓” cubes, Granny Smith, Fuji or Honey Crisp are ideal
- Walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Vegetable oil or canola oil
- Large eggs: bring the eggs to room temperature before making the cake batter
- All-Purpose Flour, salt, ground cinnamon, baking powder
- Orange juice, Orange zest and vanilla extract
Serving the cake:
This cake is perfect on its own. Following are a few suggestions if you want to dress up your plate:
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar
- Serve with sweetened whipped cream – add a dash of cinnamon to the whipped cream to spice it up
- Ice cream – doesn’t ice cream go well with everything!
- Caramel drizzle
Yes! Wrap well in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months. To defrost, remove the cake from the freezer and let rest at room temperature for a few hours.
Recommended apple types include Granny Smith, Fuji or Honey Crisp.
Apple Walnut Cake
For Apple Filling:
- 50 grams brown sugar ¼ cup, packed
- 3 Large Tart Apples cored, peeled and cut into ⅓" cubes
- 135 Grams Walnuts, toasted and chopped 1 ½ cups
For Cake Batter
- 8 Fluid Ounces Vegetable Oil (1 cup)
- 4 Large Eggs Room temperature
- 400 Grams Granulated Sugar (1 cup)
- 370 Grams All-Purpose Flour (3 cups)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 2 Tbsp Orange Juice Freshly squeezed
- 1 Tbsp Orange Zest
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
For Apple Filling
- Peel, core and chop apples into ⅓" cubes
- Toss apple chunks with brown sugar and toasted walnuts
For the Cake Batter
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Prepare a 9" or 10" tube cake pan by spraying with non-stick baking spray.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder and ground cinnamon) in a bowl
- Place granulated sugar, vegetable oil, vanilla, orange zest and eggs in a separate bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- Add one-half of the dry ingredients to the oil/sugar/egg mixture and stir until smooth.
- Stir in the orange juice.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients to the bowl and stir until smooth.
- Pour ⅓ of the batter into the prepared tube cake pan, add the apple/walnut mixture, add the remaining cake batter.
- Bake for 60 – 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and place on a cooling rack for 15 minutes. Invert cake pan onto the cooling rack and allow to cool completely. Carefully lift cake pan off of apple cake.