This Apple Rum Spice cake is loaded up with an abundance of apples nestled in a soft, buttery cake. It is a cake that is as simple in its look as it is in the process to create it – but there is nothing simple about the flavor! The secret to making this the perfect apple cake is in macerating the apples before baking to ensure you are not left with a soggy cake. Finish the cake off with a light dusting of confectioners’ sugar and you have a dessert that will please any apple lover.
Tips for Making the Perfect Apple Rum Spice Cake
- Bring the butter and eggs to room temperature prior to starting this cake.
- Most types of apples will work well in this cake. I prefer a combination of Granny Smith and Honey Crisp.
- Macerate the apples:
- Peel, core and chop the apples into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Place in apples in a bowl and toss gently with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to prevent apples from browning.
- Add 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar to the bowl and toss apples ensuring all apples are coated with sugar. Set aside for one hour.
- Drain the apples and discard the juice.
- Prior to placing in oven:
- This recipe produces a thick batter and it will be necessary to smooth the batter in the cake pan using an offset spatula.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar evenly over the top of the cake prior to baking. This sugar will caramelize while baking and add an extra crunch to the top of the cake.
Apple Rum Cake
- 180 Grams All Purpose Flour (1 Cup)
- 1.5 tsp Baking Powder
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 114 Grams Butter (room temperature) (6 ounces or 1 ½ sticks)
- 170 Grams Granulated Sugar (⅔ Cup)
- 3 Large Eggs Room temperature
- 2 Ripe Bananas For slicing and layering in cake
- 1 Ripe Banana, smashed For adding to cake batter
- 2 Tbsp Granluated Sugar (for sprinkling top of cake prior to baking)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Prepare a 9" round cake pan by lining the bottom with parchment paper or greasing the pan.
- Smash one banana and set aside.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a small bow.
- Place butter and granulated sugar in stand mixer bowl. Begin creaming the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (2 – 4 minutes), scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add room temperature eggs, one at a time, scraping bowl between each addition. Mix on medium-low speed until eggs are well incorporated.
- Add the rum and mix for approximately 30 seconds,
- Add the smashed banana and mix for approximately 60 seconds.
- Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Slice 2 bananas in ¼" slices and layer on top of cake batter.
- Pour second half of cake batter over bananas and smooth top with an offset spatula.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar evenly over top of cake.
- Bake for 40 – 50 minutes at 350°. The cake top will be a golden color and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake will come out clean when the cake is done.
- Place cake on a rack and allow to cool completely before unmolding.
- If desired, sprinkle confectioners' sugar over top of cake after unmolding.