This chewy almond cookie recipe is my go-to recipe when gluten-free family or friends are coming over - and the cookies never disappoint. The cookie has a crunchy exterior from rolling in sliced almonds and a chewy, macaroon-like interior.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to the terms page for more information.
What I like about these cookies
You only need a few ingredients and less than an hour to whip up these babies! This is a great cookie to make during the holidays when you pressed for time and still want to create cookie baskets for your friends.
Almond paste cookie ingredients
- Almond Paste: you will need one pound of paste for these cookie - be careful as some people mistake marzipan for almond paste. Solo Foods has a high-quality paste that can be found in many supermarkets or online.
- Egg Whites: allow the egg whites to come to room temperature prior to starting the recipe. Room temperature whites whip up to a greater volume and provide more stability compared to cold egg whites.
- Granulated Sugar
- Confectioners' Sugar (aka Powdered Sugar)
- Gluten-Free Flour: I prefer Bob's Red Mill but you can find many good alternatives in most supermarkets. Note: you may also use regular all-purpose flour if you don't want a gluten-free cookie.
- Raw Sliced Almonds: the cookies are rolled in almonds prior to baking.
Mixing cookie dough
- Separate your eggs an hour before you start on this cookie recipe. You will need the whites from four eggs (save those yolks for a curd, pastry cream or your next omelet!). Egg whites will aerate best when at room temperature.
- Add salt to the bowl and whip the egg whites to medium peaks. Set the bowl aside.
- Next place the almond paste, granulated sugar and confectioners' sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (note: you may also use a hand mixer but start slow else the almond paste will fly around the kitchen!). Mix until well combined.
- Stir in flour until just combined.
- Add the whipped egg whites and gently fold into the mixing bowl using a rubber spatula.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of cookie batter and roll in crushed almonds. Place cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat leaving at least an inch between each cookie.
- Bake cookies in a pre-heated 350 F oven for 13 - 18 minutes, turning pans halfway through baking. Cookies will be done when the tops are just beginning to turn a golden brown.
- Remove cookies from the oven and let cool approximately 10 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired.
Absolutely! Melt some high-quality chocolate and either dip half the cookie into the chocolate or drizzle over the cookies.
Wrap the cookies in plastic wrap and store in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. To freeze the cookies, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months (tip: I like to place a piece of masking tape on anything I am freezing. I write the name of the item and freezing date.)
Chewy Almond Cookies Recipe
- 4 Large Egg Whites Room Temperature
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 450 Grams Almond Paste (1 pound / 16 ounces)
- 200 Grams Granulated Sugar (1 cup)
- 114 Grams Confectioners' Sugar (1 cup)
- 90 Grams Gluten-Free Flour (All Purpose flour may be substituted if not making gluten-free cookies) (¾ cup)
- 85 Grams Almonds, sliced (1 cup)
- Place 4 egg whites into a clean bowl and allow to come to room temperature (approximately 1 hour)
- Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Add salt to the bowl of egg whites.
- Begin whipping egg whites and salt until egg whites become a medium peak. Set bowl aside.
- Add almond paste, granulated sugar and confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar) into a separate bowl. Using a hand- or stand-mixer, begin mixing until well combined (1 - 2 minutes).
- Add flour to the almond/sugar mixture bowl and mix until just combined.
- Fold egg whites into the almond/sugar/flour mixture until combined.
- Use cookie scoop to scoop out approximately one tablespoon of dough. Roll the dough in the sliced almonds and place on prepared sheet pans. Leave at least 1" between each cookie.
- Bake for 13 - 18 minutes. Cookies will begin to turn a golden color.
- Cool cookies before serving. Optional - dust with confectioners' sugar.