Homemade Ice Cream Sandwich Cookies Recipe
This recipe is a tribute to your childhood – ice cream sandwiched between two tender, chocolate cookies. You will always have the perfect summer treat if you make a few batches of these and keep them in the freezer!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to the terms page for more information.
These chocolate cookies take a few extra steps than a ‘standard’ cookie but the result is a soft cookie that may still be bitten into when frozen – without breaking any teeth!
Use whatever flavor ice cream you or your family prefer. My favorite in these chocolate ice cream sandwich cookies is coffee ice cream – but I like coffee-anything!
Feel free to add your personal touch to the cookies. Perhaps roll the ice cream edge in mini chocolate chips, sprinkles, roasted nuts, etc… After all, variety is the spice of life!
Wrap each cookie individually with plastic wrap and keep in the freezer until serving. The sandwiches will last up to three months in the freezer. Suggestion: place a label on the wrapped cookies with the freeze date written.
Ice cream should be slightly softened when assembling the sandwiches. About 5 minutes at room temperature should soften it sufficiently to scoop. Don’t let the ice cream melt too much else it will refreeze with water crystals.
Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwich Cookies
- 225 Grams Chocolate Bittersweet
- 114 Grams Unsalted Butter, room temperature (4 ounces or 1 stick)
- 250 Grams Granulated Sugar (1 ¼ Cup)
- 2 Large Eggs Room Temperature
- 150 Grams All Purpose Flour (1 ¼ Cup)
- 50 Grams Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder (½ Cup)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Whole Milk (8 fluid ounces) Room Temperature
- 1 Pint Ice Cream Use your choice!
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Prepare 2 baking sheets by lining with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder.
- Melt the chocolate gradually over a bain marie or in a microwave. Cool slightly.
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, begin creaming the butter granulated sugar until light and fluffy (2 – 4 minutes on medium speed). Scrape the bowl as needed.
- Add the eggs one at a time to the bowl, mixing between each addition Scrape the bowl as needed.
- Add the cooled, melted chocolate to the mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed, scraping the side of the bowl occasionally, until the chocolate is incorporated.
- Add the room temperature milk to the mixing bowl. Mix on low speed until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until combined.
- Scoop the dough onto the parchment-lined baking sheets using a small cookie scooper (approximately 2 tablespoons per cookie). Leave approximately 2 inches of space between each cookie.
- Bake cookies for 8 – 10 minutes, or until tops and edges of cookies are browning.
- Let cookies cool on the baking sheets for 5 to 10 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Assembling Ice Cream Sandwich Cookies
- Slightly soften ice cream so it is easily scooped out of container.
- Arrange half of the cookies on a baking sheet.
- Scoop approximately 3 tablespoons of ice cream on each cookie.
- Place another cookie on top of the ice cream. Press gently to spread the ice cream to the edges of the cookie. Freeze until serving.