These Chocolate Peanut Butter twists contain the best of three worlds: chocolate, peanut butter and puff pastry! Although the finished pastry may appear complicated, these treats are quite simple to make.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to the terms page for more information.
Only a few ingredients are needed to make the puff pastry twists filled with chocolate and peanut butter:
- Peanut butter: use a smooth peanut butter. Chunky peanut butter will make cutting the strips more difficult. The recipe only uses ¼ cup of peanut butter. I recommend using this amount else the peanut butter will seep out of the puff pastry while baking. No worries - the pastries still pack a strong peanut butter punch.
- Chocolate: use a cheese grater or finely chop the chocolate used for filling the pastry.
- Puff Pastry: store-bought or homemade puff pastry may be used.
- Egg: lightly whip an egg and apply to the puff pastry prior to forming the twist and baking.
- Granulated Sugar: just a bit of sugar is sprinkled over the pastry before baking.
Create the twists
Time needed: 45 minutes
Step-by-Step Instructions to create the Peanut Butter Chocolate Twists (check out my YouTube video to guide you through the recipe):
- Roll the puff pastry
Roll a sheet of puff pastry to a 9" x 15" rectangle. Spread the peanut butter thinly on the bottom half of the pastry. Sprinkle a row of chocolate on the top part of the peanut butter then sprinkle remaining chocolate below the row. Note: the peanut butter should be spread thinly so it doesn't leak out while baking.
- Fold and cut puff pastry
Fold the top half of the puff pastry over the peanut butter and chocolate. Press lightly to seal. Working from the open edge of the puff pastry, slice the folded pastry into 5 rectangles.
- Slice and twist pastry.
Brush each of the five pastries lightly with a whipped egg (this will help seal the pastry so it holds together while baking. Make four slits in the puff pastry - start cutting the slits approximately one inch from the top of the pastry. Twist each of the slits sealing the ends with your fingers. Roll the pastry over itself working from the top.
- Prepare for baking
Brush the tops of each pastry with the whipped egg. Sprinkle with granulated sugar. Place on a a non-stick cookie sheet and bake for 20 - 22 minutes at 400 degrees F.
These little goodies are best served the day they are made. Simply place in an airtight container after the twists cool completely. Leave at room temperature.
Chocolate and Peanut Butter Twists with Puff Pastry
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry Rolled to a 9" x 15" rectangle
- ¼ Cup Peanut Butter Creamy
- ¼ Cup Dark Chocolate Grated
- 1 Large Egg Whipped lightly
- 1 Tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Roll a sheet of puff pastry to a 9" x 15" rectangle.
- Evenly spread peanut butter on the bottom half of the rectangle (note: the peanut butter spread will form a 15" x 4½" rectangle at the bottom of the pastry).
- Place half of the chocolate shavings along the top of the peanut butter rectangle. Sprinkle the remainder over the rest of the peanut butter.
- Fold the top half of the puff pastry over the peanut butter and chocolate. Press lightly to seal.
- Working from the open edge of the puff pastry, slice the folded pastry into 5 rectangles. Brush each lightly with a whipped egg to seal them so they hold together while baking.
- Make four slits in each rectangle - starting the slits approximately one inch from the top.
- Twist each of the slits sealing the ends with your fingers. Roll the pastry over itself working from the top.
- Brush the tops of each pastry with the whipped egg. Sprinkle with granulated sugar. Place on a a non-stick cookie sheet and bake for 20 - 22 minutes at 400 degrees F. Cool on a wire rack before serving. Dust with powdered sugar if desired.