Bavarian Cream Cheese Recipe – Filling for Pies, Cakes and Other Pastries
This Cream Cheese Bavarian recipe produces a light and airy cream that is sturdy enough to hold up as a filling for cakes, cream pies, charlottes and dessert parfaits.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to the terms page for more information.
Cream Cheese Bavarian is my ‘go-to’ recipe when I want a more sophisticated option for cream cheese fillings.. The filling is less sweet and lighter than most cream cheese fillings.
I most often pair this recipe with fresh berries as cream cheese and berries are the perfect combination and result in a lovely dessert – a little tart and a little sweet. Additionally, the berries add a burst of flavor and a bit of texture to the dessert.
Tips for Making the Cream Cheese Bavarian Filling:
- I recommend watching my 3-minute video is you are new to making Bavarians. This video will visually guide you through each step in the process.
- The first step in the recipe is to dissolve the gelatin in cold water. Set the gelatin aside to gel while you start mixing the cream cheese.
- Bring the cream cheese to room temperature. Creating a smooth, lump-free Bavarian is difficult using cold cream cheese.
- This recipe uses the zest and juice of one lemon. The lemon is a nice addition when your final dessert will contain fresh berries of any kind. Vanilla, or any flavoring you desire, may be substituted for the lemon.
- Mix the cream cheese, sugar and lemon (or other flavoring) until no lumps remain.
- Whip the heavy cream to medium peaks. Once the cream is whipped properly, gently melt the gelatin/water mixture in a microwave. The mixture should be lukewarm. Pour the gelatin into the cream cheese mixture and stir until incorporated.
- Immediately fold in the whipped cream. You want to do this quickly so the gelatin does not start to set the cream cheese.
- The Bavarian may be used immediately if making parfaits. If using as a cake filling, place the Bavarian in the refrigerator for an hour or until it sets.
Cream Cheese Bavarian Mousse
- ¼ Ounce Powdered Gelatin (2 teaspoons)
- 3 Tbsp Cold Water (to dissolve gelatin)
- 12 Fluid Ounces Cream Cheese, full fat Room temperature
- 1 Large Lemon, zest and juice (optional)
- 4 Ounces Granulated Sugar (½ Cup plus 1 Tablespoon)
- 16 Ounces Heavy Whipping Cream (2 Cups)
- Sprinkle gelatin over cold water. Set aside.
- Place room temperature cream cheese, zest and juice of one lemon, and granulated sugar in a mixing bowl and mix together until combined and no lumps of cream cheese remain.
- Place heavy whipping cream in a separate bowl and whip to medium peaks.
- Melt gelatin until just slightly warm. Stir into cream cheese mixture.
- Add whipped cream to cream cheese mixture and fold until completely incorporated.
- Place in refrigerator until ready to use for cakes, pies, parfaits, etc…