Banana Rum Cake Recipe
I love a good banana cake and this Banana Rum Cake recipe is at the top of my list. Not only is the cake delicious, it will also make your home smell amazing while baking. It is a cake that is wonderful on it’s own, or drizzle some chocolate or peanut butter sauce over the top – or both!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to the terms page for more information.
The rum in this cake is optional and may be replaced with vanilla extract. Both flavors work well with the bananas. The crumb is billowy and soft, yet dense enough to hold up to slicing and toasting – if you have any leftovers!
Ingredients for the Banana Rum Cake Recipe:
- Bring your butter and eggs to room temperature before starting to mix the cake batter. I know – I sound like a broken record – but it is important to create a homogenous batter!
- Use ripe bananas. This recipe calls for three bananas – two will be sliced and layered in the cake and one will be mashed and added to the cake batter after the eggs. I prefer to use a dinner fork to mash bananas.
Assembling the Banana Cake
- Prepare a 9″ round cake pan by lining the bottom with parchment paper or greasing the pan.
- After your batter is mixed, add half of the batter to the prepared pan, smooth with a spatula, slice two bananas to 1/4″ slices and lay on top of the batter in the pan. Then add the second half of the batter on top of the banana slices.
- This recipe produces a thick batter and it will be necessary to smooth the batter in the cake pan using an offset spatula.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar evenly over the top of the cake prior to baking. This sugar will caramelize while baking and add an extra crunch to the top of the cake.
Variations for the Banana Pound Rum Cake:
Banana Chocolate Chip Cake
Stir a cup of bittersweet chocolate chips into the cake batter after all other ingredients are mixed.
Banana Rum Cake
- 180 Grams All Purpose Flour (1 ½ Cups)
- 1.5 tsp Baking Powder
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 114 Grams Butter (room temperature) (6 ounces or 1 ½ sticks)
- 170 Grams Granulated Sugar (⅔ Cup)
- 3 Large Eggs Room temperature
- 2 Tbsp Dark Rum Optional
- 2 Ripe Bananas For slicing and layering in cake
- 1 Ripe Banana, smashed For adding to cake batter
- 2 Tbsp Granluated Sugar (for sprinkling top of cake prior to baking)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Prepare a 9" round cake pan by lining the bottom with parchment paper or greasing the pan.
- Smash one banana and set aside.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Place butter and granulated sugar in stand mixer bowl. Begin creaming the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (2 – 4 minutes), scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add room temperature eggs, one at a time, scraping bowl between each addition. Mix on medium-low speed until eggs are well incorporated.
- Add the rum and mix for approximately 30 seconds,
- Add the smashed banana and mix for approximately 60 seconds.
- Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Slice 2 bananas in ¼" slices and layer on top of cake batter.
- Pour second half of cake batter over bananas and smooth top with an offset spatula.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar evenly over top of cake.
- Bake for 40 – 50 minutes at 350°. The cake top will be a golden color and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake will come out clean when the cake is done.
- Place cake on a rack and allow to cool completely before unmolding.
- If desired, sprinkle confectioners' sugar over top of cake after unmolding.