Coconut Macaroons Recipe Without Condensed Milk
This Coconut Macaroons recipe is simple to make and produces a cookie with a chewy interior and a crunchy exterior. These macaroons are naturally gluten- and dairy-free making them the perfect gift for your friends with certain dietary restrictions.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to the terms page for more information.
These macaroons are utterly addictive! Even with the dense interior they feel light on the palate and melt in your mouth.
Tips for Making the Coconut Macaroons:
- The secret ingredient in these cookies is a bit of unsweetened applesauce. No worries as the macaroons will not taste like apples – it will add a bit more texture and stability to the cookie.
- Use room temperature egg whites as they will have more liquid viscosity than when they’re cold. This will allow the air to be readily incorporated.
- Whip the egg whites to soft peaks and gently fold into the other ingredients.
- This recipe calls for sweetened coconut that is shredded. You may use coconut flakes but shredded is preferred.
- If you want that “Mounds Bar” taste, simply melt a bit of chocolate and dip half of the coconut macaroon into the chocolate. Place on a sheet pan lined with parchment or wax paper and allow the chocolate to set.
- To add a little tartness to the macaroons, add the zest of one lime to the batter.
- These flourless and diary-free macaroons will freeze well. Simply layer between sheets of waxed paper and place in a freezer-proof container. Before serving, remove from freezer and allow the macaroons to defrost at room temperature for approximately one hour.
I am often asked by my customers to describe the difference between and ‘macaron’ and a ‘macaroon.’ This article by Bon Appetit provides a good explanation of the difference – it also gives you the proper pronunciation for both!
- 280 Grams Sweetened and Shredded Coconut (3 cups / 10 ounces)
- 150 Grams Granulated Sugar (¾ cup)
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Salt
- 3 Large Egg Whites (3 ounces)
- 2 Tbsp Unsweetened Applesauce
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Prepare 2 sheet pans by lining with parchment paper.
- Place egg whites and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer (a hand mixer may also be used) and allow to come to room temperature.
- In a separate large bowl, combine granulated sugar, vanilla extract, coconut and applesauce.
- Begin mixing the egg whites on low speed. Slowly increase the speed to medium-high and continue mixing until egg whites appear white and foamy and hold a soft peak.
- Fold egg whites into other ingredients until well combined.
- Scoop individual macaroons onto prepared sheet pan using a cookie scoop or tablespoon.
- Bake for 14 – 18 minutes (tops will be a golden brown).
- Cool on sheet pans for 5 minutes then move macaroons to a cooling rack to cool completely.