This old-fashioned coconut custard pie has a creamy egg custard filling, just the right amount of sweetness and is loaded with coconut flakes. This pie is super easy to make, mixes up in just 5 minutes and only requires a whisk, a bowl, a spatula and a pie crust to create.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to the terms page for more information.
Coconut custard pies are often a staple for holiday dinner desserts but it is a refreshing summer dessert also – just drizzle a little mango curd on your serving plates and over the top of the pie! Add a dash of nutmeg if creating for your holiday menu.
This pie is not too fancy and not too complicated to make – so grab your kids and have them help you create it.
Tips for Making the Perfect Coconut Custard Pie:
- This pie is best baked in a sweet pie dough but a flaky pie dough will also work nicely.
- Bring the eggs and whole milk to room temperature before mixing the custard filling. Cold eggs and milk could cause the filling to separate. If you are in a hurry, simply warm the milk slightly in the microwave and place the eggs in a bowl of warm water for several minutes.
- Use sweetened coconut flakes for this pie. You don’t need to toast your coconut before mixing the pie filling. We are sprinkling coconut on top of this pie prior to baking to create a crunchy top.
- Making the Custard:
- The ingredients for this pie are added one after the other. Whisk gently but thoroughly after the ingredients are added. Fold in the coconut flakes.
I recommend chilling your pie crust prior to baking the pie. This will reduce the chances the pie crust will shrink or burn. My Sweet Pie Dough works wonderfully with this pie as it produces a buttery soft crust and holds it’s shape well during baking. Check out the recipe below:
Coconut Custard Pie
- 1 Pre-rolled pie crust My Sweet Dough recipe works wonderfully for this pie
- 2 Large Eggs, room temperature
- 4 Ounces Unsalted Butter, melted (1 stick)
- 7 Ounces Granulated Sugar (1 Cup)
- 2 Tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg (optional)
- ¾ Cup Whole Milk, room temperature (6 fluid ounces)
- 1 ½ Cups Sweetened Shredded Coconut (for pie filling)
- 2 Tbsp Sweetened Shredded Coconut (for sprinkling over pie)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Melt butter and let cool slightly.
- Add eggs to a bowl and whisk lightly.
- Add sugar to the bowl and whisk lightly.
- Add melted butter to the bowl and whisk lightly.
- Add flour to the bowl and whisk lightly.
- Optional: add nutmeg to bowl and whisk lightly.
- Add milk to the bowl and whisk lightly.
- Stir in 1 ½ cups coconut flakes.
- Pour filling into pre-rolled 9" pie crust.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons coconut flakes over top of pie.
- Place on a cookie sheet pan or pie drip catcher. Bake for 45 – 50 minutes. Check pie after 35 minutes and cover crust with a pie shield or wrap loosely in foil if crust is turning too dark.
- Cool for at least 2 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers – if you have any!