A mouth-watering German Chocolate Cupcake recipe that looks almost as good as it tastes. This recipe produces a rich chocolate cupcake topped with a creamy icing loaded with chopped pecans and sweetened coconut.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to the terms page for more information.
This little cupcake packs all the flavors of the classic German chocolate cake but in individual servings – the perfect grab-and-go dessert. The icing is simple to make and takes just a few minutes on the stovetop and about an hour to cool down. For an extra chocolate punch add a few swirls of my fudge icing to the cupcake.
For a step-by-step tutorial on how to make the icing, check out my short video:
German Chocolate Cupcakes
German Chocolate Frosting
- 5 Ounces Unsalted Butter (1 ¼ Stick)
- 14 Ounces Sweetened Condensed Milk (1 can)
- 3 ¾ Ounces Light Brown Sugar (½ Cup)
- 3 Large Egg Yolks
- 5 Ounces Toasted Pecans, chopped finely (approximately 1 Cup)
- 5 Ounces Sweetened Shredded Coconut (approximately 1 ½ Cups)
- 75 Grams Cocoa Powder (3/4 cup) Use a combination of dark cocoa powder and regular cocoa powder for a richer chocolate taste and appearance.
- 265 Grams All Purpose Flour (2 cups)
- 400 Grams Granulated Sugar (2 cups)
- 2 TBSP Corn Starch
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 Cup Vegetable or Canola Oil (6 fluid ounces)
- 4 Large Eggs Room temperature
- 1 1/4 Cup Brewed Coffee (10 fluid ounces), cooled May substitute water
German Chocolate Frosting
- In a large saucepan combine butter, sweetened condensed milk and brown sugar.
- Heat over medium heat until butter is melted and brown sugar is dissolved. Stir often.
- Lower heat to medium-low and add the egg yolks to the saucepan, stirring until the eggs are fully incorporated.
- Continue heating the mixture on medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until thickened (approximately 8 minutes).
- Remove from heat and transfer mixture to a large, heatproof bowl.
- Add coconut and toasted pecans and stir well.
- Allow icing to cool completely before using (approximately 45 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line cupcake pan(s) with paper cupcake liners (18 total cupcakes)
- Combine flour, sugar, cornstarch, baking powder and baking soda in the bowl of a stand mixer. If mixing by hand or with a hand mixer, combine ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add oil and eggs and mix until combined.
- Slowly pour brewed coffee into bowl while continuing to mix, scraping the bowl occasionally. The batter should be smooth.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake liners filling approximately ⅔ full.
- Bake for 18 – 22 minutes or until cupcakes are fully risen and a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Place cupcakes on a rack and allow to cool completely before icing. Spread frosting on top of each cupcake and enjoy!