These Halloween cupcakes with Oreo mummies are a fun and creative treat to make for Halloween or other spooky-themed events. This dessert consists of a soft vanilla cupcake with a surprise baked-in Oreo, cream cheese icing and an Oreo mummy topper.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to the terms page for more information.
These cupcakes are as tasty as they are cute. An added bonus is these are easy to make and the type of recipe kids love making to express their creativity. It's an activity that brings joy and laughter, making it a wonderful way to spend time together.
Ingredients for the Halloween cupcakes
You need the following ingredients for the Halloween cupcakes batter: all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, granulated sugar, room temperature eggs, vegetable oil, room temperature whole milk and vanilla extract.
Oreo mummy ingredients
You need the following ingredients for the Oreo mummies: white fondant, black fondant or a black food coloring marker and, of course, Oreos!
Cream cheese icing ingredients
You need the following ingredients for the cream cheese icing: confectioner's sugar (aka powdered sugar), room temperature cream cheese, vanilla extract and room temperature butter.
Amounts are listed in the recipe card below.
Follow the instructions in the mummy cupcake recipe card below. Also, be sure to check out the video below for a visual on assembling the cupcakes:
The cream cheese icing is perishable and requires fridge. Place the Halloween cupcakes in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. Remove from the fridge and let rest at room temperature about one hour prior to serving.
For some fun FAQs and reading check out this article from History.com.
Halloween Cupcakes with Oreo Mummies
- Cupcake Pans (makes 12 cupcakes)
- Cupcake Liners
- Hand Mixer or
- Liquid Measuring Cups
- 195 Grams All Purpose Flour 1 ½ cups
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 200 Grams Granulated Sugar 1 cup
- 2 Large Eggs Room Temperature
- ⅓ Cup Vegetable or Canola Oil
- ⅓ Cup Whole Milk Room Temperature
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 12 Oreo Cookies
Cream Cheese Icing
- 113 Grams Cream Cheese, full fat/room temperature ½ cup / 4 ounces
- 58 Grams Butter, room temperature ¼ cup / 2 ounces
- 250 Grams Confectioner's sugar (sifted) 2 cups
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 12 Oreos
- White fondant alternatively use royal icing
- Black fondant or a black food coloring marker
- 5 Oreos, crushed for 'dirt'
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare cupcake pans by placing liners in 12 cavities.
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk well and set bowl aside.
- Add sugar and eggs to the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on medium speed for approximately 2 minutes (note a hand mixer or whisk may also be used).
- Add the vanilla extract and mix briefly.
- Add one-third of the flour mixture and mix on low speed until incorporated. Add one-half of the milk and vegetable oil and mix until incorporated. Add another third of the flour mixture and mix till smooth. Add the remaining oil and milk and mix till smooth. Finally, add the remaining flour mixture and mix until smooth.
- Place one Oreo in each cupcake liner.
- Fill cupcake liners ⅔ full of batter.
- Bake for 20 - 24 minutes. Cool completely before adding icing.
- Thinly roll out white fondant. Cut 2" strips no wider than ⅛". Lightly brush water on each strip and randomly crisscross on each Oreo.
- Cut out fondant dots the size you would like the eyes (2 dots for each mummy). Lightly moisten the back of the dot and place on the mummy Oreo. Place a black dot of fondant on each eye or draw a dot with a food coloring marker.
Cream Cheese Icing
- Place the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of a mixer. Mix on medium speed until well combined. Add the confectioner's sugar and vanilla. Mix for 2 - 3 minutes on medium speed.
- Pipe or spread the cream cheese icing over the top of each cupcake. Sprinkle 'dirt' using crushed Oreos.
- Place a mummy Oreo on top of each cupcake.