Banana Cream Tarts in a Chocolate Pastry Crust
These Banana Cream Tarts are a super easy recipe to to make. This dessert consists of a banana cream pudding filling in a chocolate crust, ripe bananas and drizzled with melted chocolate. If you love bananas and chocolate together you are going to love these tarts!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to the terms page for more information.
The individual tarts make this simple recipe fit for a dinner table dessert. Prefer a no-bake banana pie? Simply pour the filling into a store-bought crust and allow to set up in the fridge.
Tips for making the Banana Cream Tarts:
- Instant banana pudding mix: be sure to use instant and not the pudding mix that requires cooking
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Heavy cream
- Ripe bananas
- Prebaked chocolate tart shells: check out our chocolate crust recipe (I like to use 4″ tart pans with a removeable bottom for easy release)
Time needed to make the banana cream pudding:
Give yourself a few hours to make this recipe as the banana pudding filling needs to set up in the fridge for a few hours:
- Combine the instant banana pudding mix, sweetened condensed milk and water in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk well until no lumps remain. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- After the pudding sets, whip the heavy cream to medium peaks. Gently fold the cream into the banana pudding until no streaks remain.
- The filling is now ready to fill your pre-baked tart shells.
Countless ways to decorate these tarts! For example, drizzle with a little melted chocolate, add torched banana slices, create a swirl of peanut butter sauce on top, etc…
Don’t cut the bananas until you are just about to add to the tart shells. You may also toss the banana slices in a little lemon juice if you aren’t serving the tarts the same day.
Individual Banana Cream Tarts
- 8 Pre-baked 4" Tart Shells Check out our chocolate pie crust recipe
- 12 Fluid ounces Water 1 ½ cups
- ⅔ Cup Instant Banana Pudding Mix (be sure to use instant!)
- 1 14 ounce can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 8 Fluid ounces Heavy Whipping Cream 1 cup
- 2 Large Ripe Bananas Cut to ¼" slices
- 2 Ounces Chocolate, melted (optional – for drizzling over tarts)
Make Banana Cream
- Whisk together the banana pudding, condensed milk and water in a medium sized bowl.
- Cover bowl and place in refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove bowl from the refrigerator and stir the pudding until smooth.
- Whip the heavy cream to medium peaks.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the banana pudding.
- Place 4 banana slices in the bottom of each tart.
- Pipe banana cream over the top of the bananas in the tart shell. Alternatively, spoon filling into the tart shell.
- Optional: drizzle with melted chocolate.
- Place tarts in the refrigerator until ready to serve.