Peanut Butter Pie Crust Recipe
This recipe produces a peanut butter pie crust that may be used with a multitude of fillings – banana pie, chocolate pie and, of course, peanut butter pie. The texture is bursting with peanut butter flavor and maintains a soft cookie-like texture after baking.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to the terms page for more information.
This is a simple recipe to make – the only thing hard about it is not nibbling at the crust before you add you pie filling! Maybe double the batch and freeze one (baked or unbaked) as it will last several weeks in your freezer.
Tips for Making the Perfect Peanut Butter Pie Crust:
- PB Crust Ingredients:
- Bring the butter and egg to room temperature before starting on this recipe. The end product will thank you as this will achieve better aeration in the baking and a smoother textured dough.
- Are you a chunky or smooth peanut butter person (I’m a chunky!). Use whichever type of peanut butter you prefer. If using a natural peanut butter be certain to fully incorporate any oils that may have separated in the jar.
- Lining the Pie Pan with the Peanut Butter Dough:
- This is a press-in crust. I will usually use my hands to press the crust into the pan, but a dough tamper or flat-bottomed glass dipped in flour will work well also.
- Try to distribute the dough as evenly as possible in the pan. I recommend pressing the dough into the bottom of the pan first, then working up the sides. This dough contains baking soda and aerated butter/sugar so there will be a slight rise.
- Pierce the dough on the bottom and up the sides with a fork to alleviate too much of a rise while baking.
- This crust should be baked when it is cold. I recommend assembling the crust in the pie pan, placing in the refrigerator, then turning on the oven. This will give the crust several minutes to relax before baking which will minimize shrinking.
Peanut Butter Pie Crust
- 56 Grams Unsalted Butter, room temperature (½ Stick)
- 106 Grams Brown Sugar (½ Cup)
- 112 Grams Peanut Butter (Chunky or Creamy) (½ Cup)
- 1 Large Egg, room temperature
- 120 Grams All Purpose Flour (1 Cup)
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add brown sugar and room temperature butter to a mixing bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment cream together until light and fluffy (approximately 3 minutes), scraping side of bowl as needed.
- Add the peanut butter to the butter/sugar and mix until combined, scraping the side of bowl as needed.
- Add a room temperature egg to butter/sugar/peanut butter and mix until combined, scraping the side of bowl as needed.
- Add flour/baking soda/salt to mixing bowl and mix on low speed until combined.
- Press the dough evenly into the bottom and up the sides of a 9" pie pan. Use your hands, a dough tamper or the flat bottom of a glass dipped in flour.
- Pierce bottom and sides of pie crust with a fork about 15 times.
- Place pie crust in the refrigerator and heat oven to 350°.
- Once oven has reached 350°, bake pie crust for 12 minutes.
- Cool completely before adding pie fillings.