These Raspberry Almond Puff Pastry Twists may appear complicated, but these treats are quite simple to make. Just follow the instructions in the recipe card and you will have an impressive dessert in just half an hour!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to the terms page for more information.
Why you will love this recipe
Raspberries and almonds create a wonderful taste experiences. Almonds add a subtle nutty flavor and a crunchy texture. Raspberries add a tart, yet slightly sweet taste. The combination of these two ingredients makes for a well-rounded flavor. Add in flaky puff pastry and you have the perfect dessert.
These hand-held pastries are a treat after a casual meal, added to a brunch dessert buffet or as an 'anytime snack.'
The following ingredients are needed to make the raspberry almond puff pastry twists:
- Puff pastry: store-bought or homemade puff pastry my be used. Puff pastry sheets are found in the dessert section of the freezer aisle. Check out my quick puff pastry recipe if you are feeling adventurous and want to make your own.
- Almonds: use toasted, sliced almonds
- Raspberry jam or preserves: you only need a few tablespoons for this recipe.
- Raw sugar: just a bit of sugar is sprinkled over the pastry prior to baking. You may replace the raw sugar with granulated sugar.
- An egg: lightly whip an egg and apply to the puff pastry prior to forming the twist and, once again, prior to baking. The egg will help the pastry hold together.
See recipe card for quantities.
Follow the instructions in the recipe card. For a visual on how to twist the pasties, check out this 30 second video:
You may be tempted to add more raspberry preserves. I advise against this. Adding more preserves will simply leak out during the baking process. The raspberry flavor will still shine through in this dessert in the amount I have listed (2 tablespoons).
Certainly. Check out my recipe for a quick puff pastry.
These pastries are best served the day they are made. Place in an airtight container after the twists cool. Store at room temperature - or serve while still warm!
Raspberry Almond Pastry Twists Recipe
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry Rolled to a 9" x 15" rectangle
- 2 Tablespoons Raspberry Preserves or Jam
- ¼ Cup Almonds, toasted and sliced
- 1 Large Egg Whipped lightly
- 1 Tablespoon Raw Sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Roll a sheet of puff pastry to a 9" x 15" rectangle.
- Evenly spread raspberry preserves on the bottom half of the rectangle (note: the raspberry spread will form a 15" x 4½" rectangle at the bottom of the pastry).
- Sprinkle the almond pieces in a row along the top of the raspberry rectangle.
- Fold the top half of the puff pastry over the raspberries and almonds. Press lightly to seal.
- Working from the open edge of the puff pastry, slice the folded pastry into 5 even rectangles. Brush each lightly with a whipped egg to seal them so they hold together while baking.
- Make four slits in each rectangle - starting the slits approximately one inch from the top of the folded pastry.
- Twist each of the slits sealing the ends with your fingers. Roll the pastry over itself working from the top.
- Brush the tops of each pastry with the whipped egg. Sprinkle with raw sugar. Place on a a non-stick cookie sheet or parchment paper and bake for 18 - 22 minutes at 400 degrees F. Cool on a wire rack before serving. Dust with powdered sugar if desired.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove